March 13 & 14:
Design + Method + Purpose
Design to Scale is a two-day interactive seminar for Chicago entrepreneurs to learn new methods to re-invigorate, re-imagine, and re-focus their impact.
What Design to Scale is about:
Three years ago, our business was circling the drain. We were producing great work, but we weren’t making a profit and we sure weren’t happy. As the owner of LimeRed, I’ve taken all kinds of business seminars and hired so many coaches, and the result was a lot of advice that was either one-size-fits-all or not quite applicable to what I wanted to do.
Why? Because I wanted to design and grow a different kind of company, one that values purpose just as much as profit. After a decade in the entrepreneurship game, I knew that relationships and being true to your vision was just as important as crunching numbers and looking at analytics.
So in 2015 we built our own method to align purpose and profits and have since grown not in size, but in impact and profit every year. We use a method called Human Centered Design, made famous by the design firm IDEO. But most community-changing orgs and businesses can’t afford to hire us, let alone IDEO, so we created Design to Scale to bring this method to the organizations and businesses poised to make real change.
Who is this for?
• Entrepreneurs in the social impact industry,
• Startup founders wondering how to build a team and make a big impact
• Arts organizations and businesses,
• Small business owners 2-3 years in,
• Business owners interested in B Corps and purpose-driven companies
Purpose + Profit
Balancing these two ideas doesn't have to be a struggle.
You've seen some success and wonder what's the one thing that will supercharge you.
You care just as much about building your community as you do about building your business.
You're constantly coming up with ideas on how to re-invent your business, but not sure which one is the right one.
As an entrepreneur it’s probably your superpower to come up with a million amazing ideas. There are so many ways to change the world, right? You want to do all of them. What if there was a way to quickly understand what is most impactful and spend time on the ideas that matter most?
We’ve run a successful business for 14 years and have helped launch and support hundreds of others. We’ve seen it all, from growing too quickly and burning out to not being able to start on any one ting. We designed this seminar specifically for entrepreneurs to bring the tools and techniques that we’ve been using for years to grow our businesses (and others’) consistently and deliberately.
You will learn:
- Strategies to focus, validate, and test your ideas
- Ideas you never knew you could
- How to prioritize, manage, and evaluate your marketing
- How to do just enough research to get real insight
We all talk about scaling, but what does that really mean? More dollars? More people? More profit? More impact? All of that? In our 14 years in business, we’ve grown quickly, crashed and burned, turned around other companies, tripled sales, and found innovative ways to keep employees happy, healthy, and engaged.
How do you get your whole team to care as much as you do? How do you truly connect with customers in a meaningful way? There are difficult and exciting times ahead and we’ll help you get there because we’ve been through it all. Design to Scale will help you identify your biggest challenges, prepare you on how to approach complexity, help set realistic goals, and measure success.
You will learn how to:
- Build a team that is right for you and your market
- Make plans for growth within your capacity and budget
- Build consensus within a team
- Figure out how to energize people to believe in you
In two days we will cover:
- A new way to understand your audiences and your business ecosystem.
- Quick ways to test ideas, and determine if they are purposeful and profitable.
- How to communicate your purpose in a compelling way.
- A new model for anticipating and leveraging constant change and growth.
- How to energize your team and get them to care as much as you do.
- How to evaluate, and manage your team in a meaningful way.
- Organizing and prioritizing marketing for the long- and short-term.
- Embracing change and not burning out.
Early Bird tickets available until January 31, 2018.
Have a Question about Design to Scale?
Hey, we’re all ears.
"LimeRed is an amazing organization with an incredibly inspiring and approachable staff. Demetrio has total command of all areas of marketing and communications, exudes passion for his job, and was inspirational as a speaker and during our one-on-one session."
"The LimeRed Studio workshops were instrumental in providing us with the knowledge and means to cultivate a marketing strategy to support the growth of Chicago Composers Orchestra. Our work with Demetrio helped us empower not only our marketing committee but our entire board of directors with concrete resources to execute a comprehensive, organization-wide initiative toward achieving our audience engagement goals."
"We found that the workshops were extremely efficient and well managed, and a great deal of material was covered in a short period of time. We left each session inspired and exhausted—a good combination! With the help of Demetrio and LimeRed’s strategies, we were able to take a step back and look at CFA with fresh eyes. We are so caught up in the work that we do every day that it was extremely refreshing to have time to think about (and work on!) clearly articulating who we are as an organization and what we do."
"Also valuable was time I was able to connect with Emily Lonigro Boylan, owner of LimeRed. As Rivendell is dedicated to advancing the lives of women through theatre, whenever we are able to connect with a female entrepreneur it is always a valuable connection. Emily is also a key leader in several female-run groups that are a good resource for Rivendell."
"My biggest regret is that I didn’t have more time...It was so compelling, challenging and insightful that I did not want it to end."
Facilitator: Emily Lonigro Boylan, President LimeRed
A leader in social impact-driven business and technology with experience building teams, creating and validating business strategy, directing design and communications. Emily runs the only Certified Woman-owned B Corporation UX agency in the world.
- 14 years of business experience in tech and design industry
- 20 years of experience in design, branding, technology, UX, and UI
- Significant sales and business networking expertise
- Expertise in leadership skills, leading and managing teams
- Defining mission, vision, company culture
- Extensive network of professional resources and connections
- Experienced entrepreneurship mentor at 1871, SAIC, 2112
- Adjunct faculty at Columbia College Chicago
Facilitator: Demetrio Maguigad, Partner and Strategy Director, LimeRed
Demetrio P. Cardona-Maguigad is a strategist and educator in the areas of communication, design, and web technologies. As the director of strategic design at LimeRed Studio, he leads collaborative and process-driven methods between clients and design teams to uncover insights and align organizational goals towards innovative design solutions. He is also an adjunct faculty member in the Communication & Media Innovation Department at Columbia College Chicago, instructing digital strategies courses, and providing support for curriculum research and design. In the last two years, he’s mentored organizations and startups and has co-designed and facilitated NTEN’s Idea Accelerator.
Sign up for updates and get our FREE book, Identity to Impact: New Brand Guideline Standards for Social Impact Entrepreneurs
You’ll love it.